|Developer||Nymi, Inc. |
|Announced||December 2014 |
|Released||Developers: December 2014 
|Price||150 USD (developer kit)|
ECG, accelerometer, gyroscope 
|Weight||g (not indicated)|
Nymi band is a wearable multi-factor authenticator in the form of a wrist-band that uses the user's heartbeat to uniquely identify them. The company partnered with TD Bank Group and MasterCard Canada for the initial trials of the device.
Nymi is a electronic wrist band with a ARM Cortex M4 embedded processor, Bluetooth, NFC, and an ECG sensor. The band is a biometric identifier that uniquely authenticates the user by processing his his or her heart-rate. The band itself also act as a continuity circuit and the device's authentication feature will work only when the circuit is completed and the band fastened on the hand. The device communicates with the surroundings via a Bluetooth Low Energy or via a NFC antennas.
The state of the device is communicate by 5 LED lights on the side of the device. Information can also be conveyed by a vibration motor. And Nymi band also features an accelerometer and gyroscope so the user can use gestures to control the device.
The chassis is made out of Ethylene oxide sterilized plastic (ISO 10993-7:2008) and is water-resistant (IPX7, water splashes and up to 30 minutes of submersion in 1 m deep water).
Nymi band is compatible with Windows, OSX and iOS, and Android operating systems as well as with any device using the FIDO alliance Universal Second Factor protocol or the Physical Access Control Systems.
Nymi band is a authentication device used in places where security is demanded. It uses the user's heartbeat as a unique identifier of their person and communicates with other devices via Bluetooth or NFC.
Company & People
http://mashable.com/2016/04/12/facebook-bots-analysis/#RhflWIIFJEqD The device is developed by Canadian company Nymi, Inc. based in Toronto. The company spun-off from a research on unique qualities of a human ECG and was originally founded under the name Bionym in 2011. It expanded the idea of a dedicated hardware authenticator in December 2014 and changed name to Nymi, Inc.
- 2011 - The company is created under the name Bionym.
- December 2014 - The company expands it's development and changes name to Nymi, Inc.
- 15 December 2014 - Nymi, Inc. begins shipping of the Developer Kit edition of the device.
Enhancement - the Nymi band uniquely authenticates the user and allows him to securely use devices, systems and services. These may be for example logging into an computer, opening secured area, or authenticating a bank transfer.
Ethical & Health Issues
There has been no issues noted with Nymi band specifically so far. However, some general issues connected to Body-worn Wearables in general still apply.
Public & Media Impact and Presentation
The articles describing Nymi band focus on the features made available in the official promotional materials, although some articles describing hand-on experience exist. The authors like that the authentication through cardiac rhythm is more secure than a fingerprint approach. Chuck Hounsell, a senior vice president at TD Bank Group called the device innovative and convenient, and Jason Danes, Head of emerging payments at MasterCard Canada described the device as secure, seamless, convenient. First look impressions by the magazine Wareable.com mentions the simple, utilitarian design of the device and the fact that the clasp mechanism that completes the circuit is not perfectly reliably and is currently being redesigned. The author praises that it takes under a minute for the device to authenticate the user by their cardiac rhythm and the overall early verdict called the device cutting-edge technology that is worth waiting for.
We are not aware of any policy that is regulating or is otherwise relevant to this device in particular.
Related Technologies, Projects, or Scientific Research
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 https://nymi.com/our_story
- ↑ https://nymi.com/blog/we-are-now-nymi
- ↑ http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSnMKW67sZVa+1c6+MKW20141203
- ↑ http://shop.nymi.com/products/nymi-band-discovery-kit
- ↑ https://nymi.com/product_specs
- ↑ https://nymi.com/using_the_nymi_band
- ↑ http://www.cio.com/article/2969293/wearable-technology/nymi-band-uses-your-heartbeat-to-secure-mobile-payments.html
- ↑ Nymi Band Developer Kit Specifications. Nymi, Inc. 2016 https://nymi.com/product_specs
- ↑ http://www.digitaltrends.com/wearables/bionym-wearable-uses-heart-rate-for-id/
- ↑ http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/nymi-td-mastercard-announce-worlds-first-biometrically-authenticated-wearable-2046600.htm
- ↑ http://www.wareable.com/wearable-tech/nymi-band-review