|Developer||Magic Leap Inc.|
|Field of view|
Magic Leap's patent - http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20160011419.pdf
Company & People
- Rony Abovitz - Founder, President and Chief Executive Officer
- Dr. Brian Schowengerdt - Co-Founder, Chief Science and Experience Officer
- Rachna Bhasin - Chief Business Officer
- Rio Caraeff - Chief Content Officer
- Scott Henry - Chief Financial Officer
- Graeme Devine - Chief Game Wizard
- Neal Stephenson - Chief Futurist 
Ethical & Health Issues
Public & Media Impact and Presentation
Dirk Groten claims: "Most of us in AR have always been very skeptical about Magic Leap's videos. They were just special effects videos, that was clear. "Show us the real thing" before we'll rejoice was what we would say. I'm not at all surprised that they aren't anywhere near a breakthrough. The challenge of a wide field of view with enough depth is a really really hard one to crack. Even with 1.4 billion in R&D money."
Greg Maltz posted at LinkedIn: "Magic Leap has an impressive patent portfolio, but given that there has been so much investment and their only product so far is IP, it's a bit underwhelming."
Nick Statt from The Verge argues: "The report, which incorporates an interview with Magic Leap CEO Rony Abovitz, reveals that the company posted a misleading product demo last year showcasing its technology. The company has also had trouble miniaturizing its AR tech from a bulky helmet-sized device into a pair of everyday glasses, as Abovitz has repeatedly claimed the finished product will accomplish."
Optinvent, the manufacturer of AR glasses Ora posted on their blog:
In general this patent is reads like a wish list of someone who’s never dealt with mass produced hardware and optics. The claims reads like lines of code without any consideration for hardware manufacturing feasibility, yield, cost, and reliability. The complexity of the claimed arrangement is not only related to the optics, but to the opto-electronic systems, piezo vibrating fiber, liquid crystal, mechanical assembly, lasers and electronics. We doubt the manufacturing feasibility of such a system. Its doubtful that the images we’ve seen of the “photonics chip” that Abovitz, Magic Leap’s CEO has been showing are a real working component.
Related Technologies, Projects or Scientific Research
- Magic Leap. About us. Magic Leap [online]. Available online at: https://www.magicleap.com/#/about_us_team (Retrieved 11th November, 2016).
- HOLLISTER, Sean. How Magic Leap Is Secretly Creating a New Alternate Reality. Gizmodo [online]. 2014, Nov 19. Available online at: http://gizmodo.com/how-magic-leap-is-secretly-creating-a-new-alternate-rea-1660441103 (Retrieved 11th November, 2016).
- METZ, Rachel. Magic Leap: A startup is betting more than half a billion dollars that it will dazzle you with its approach to creating 3-D imagery. MIT Technology Review [online]. 2015. Available online at: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/534971/magic-leap/ (Retrieved 11th November, 2016).
- https://www.linkedin.com/groups/4437607/4437607-6212845735487029251 (Retrieved 12th December, 2016).
- MIRZA, Kayvan. Magic Leap Analysis: Dispelling some of the Myths. LinkedIn [online]. 2016, Dec 12. Available online at: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/magic-leap-analysis-dispelling-some-myths-kayvan-mirza?trk=prof-post(Retrieved 13th December, 2016).
- STATT, Nick. Magic Leap is actually way behind, like we always suspected it was. The Verge [online]. 2016, Dec 8. Available online at: http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/8/13894000/magic-leap-ar-microsoft-hololens-way-behind (Retrieved 12th December, 2016).
- Optinvent. Magic Leap Analysis: Dispelling some of the Myths. Optinvent [online]. Available online at: http://www.optinvent.com/magic-leap-analysis-dispelling-myths-2 (Retrieved 16th January, 2017)