Sony SmartEyeglass Attach
Sony’s Single-Lens Display Module known as SmartEyeglass Attach is an augmented reality module that can be easily attached / detached to any
kind of glasses and thus used only when needed. The right side display arm consists of optical unit, OLED display, and control board with
embedded wireless LAN and Bluetooth, processor, and sensor hub.Cite error: Invalid
invalid names, e.g. too many In its initial stage, the
company is targeting the module’s sports applications, but there is a great potential of using the module in work environment and for
The display unit has a 640 x 400 High-Resolution Color OLED display with 10,000:1 or more contrast ratio and RGB with 24 bit colour depth
display colour. The embedded sensors include electronic compass, accelerometer, and touch sensor. The device has an ARM Cortex-A7 Processor,
Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity. The approximate weight of the device is 40g (display arm 22g and secondary arm 18g).Cite error: Invalid
invalid names, e.g. too many
The 0.5cm high screen appears in the top right corner and does not obscure the wearer’s frontal field of vision. Although the module prototype
presented at CES 2015 did not have a battery included and was connected by power cable instead, the final product will have the 400mAh battery
housed in the left arm of the device. The module is waterproof, which makes it convenient for using when sweating or for water sports,
although it is not yet clear whether they can work underwater.
With the announced open source software developer kit (SDK), the developer community will be able to create apps and find new uses of the
device.Cite error: Invalid
invalid names, e.g. too many Sony’s official website states that the apps can be uploaded directly onto the
device and allow it to work independently of other hardware or they can be uploaded onto a smartphone which connects wirelessly to the
device.Cite error: Invalid
invalid names, e.g. too many However, one of the reviews says that the module is not independent and needs to be connected to a
smartphone. This may be due to the difference in the prototype tested by the reviewer and the final version of the product Sony has in mind.
Sports (running, tennis, golf, cycling); navigation; potential use in work setting.
Company & People
Sony Corporation was founded on May 7, 1946. It is a multinational conglomerate corporation headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.
Representative Corporate Executive Officers: Kazuo Hirai, President and CEO; Kenichiro Yoshida, EVP and CFO.
- Release date was announced for 2015.
Public & Media Impact and Presentation
Unlike SmartEyeglass, SmartEyeglass Attach has received highly positive reviews for its lightweight and unobtrusiveness in terms of the
module’s design, its mass appeal, and the display’s functionality. The prototype comes with issues to be solved such as integration of the
battery, making the module an independent device, developing more apps, and further miniaturisation. Overall, the device seen as a potentially
Related Technologies, Project or Scientific Research
- BEAVIS, Gareth. Hands on: Sony SmartEyeglass Attach review. TechRadar [online]. 2015, Feb 18. Available online at: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gadgets/sony-smarteyeglass-attach-1279116/review (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- ALLSOPP, Ashleigh. Sony SmartEyeglass and SmartEyeglass Attach hands-on review: Sony now taking pre- orders for SmartEyeglass Developer Edition. PC Tech Advisor [online]. 2015, Feb 17. Available online at: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/wearable-tech/sony-smarteyeglass-smarteyeglass-attach-hands-on-review-3593112/ (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- Corporate Info. Sony Corp. [online]. Available online at: http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/CorporateInfo/ (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- CHARARA, Sophie. Sony SmartEyeglass Attach first look: This specs accessory has potential. Wareable [online]. 2015, Mar 2. Available online at: http://www.wareable.com/sony/sony-smarteyeglass-attach- first-look-this-specs-accessory-has-potential (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- COLLINS, Katie. Sony's SmartEyeglass Attach! module makes any specs smart. Wired [online]. 2009, Jan 15. Available online at: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-01/09/sony-smarteyeglass-attach- hands-on (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- ANDRONICO, Michael. Sony SmartEyeGlass Attach: Raising Your Dumb Specs' IQ. Tom's Guide [online]. 2015, Jan 8. Available online at: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-smarteyeglass-attach-hands-on,news-20256.html (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)